Administering NSSE involves active collaboration between NSSE staff and participating campuses for about a 12-month time span. NSSE participants are assigned a Project Services Team upon registration approval that provides assistance with every aspect of preparing and administering NSSE, including invitations, reminder messages, and delivery of the online survey. This process ensures consistency and comparability among institutions and establishes a foundation for accurate comparisons.
NSSE also provides a secure web-portal for uploading files and managing survey administration details from start to finish.
The timeline below approximates the general activities of the 12-month cycle.
Summer: Register and Plan Ahead
- Registration open (June to September)
- View webinars to prepare for survey administration
- Begin planning promotional activities
Fall / Winter: Survey Preparations
- Customize NSSE by choosing modules, forming a consortium, or registering as a system
- Prepare survey materials, such as population file, recruitment messages, message schedule, and participation incentives
- Finalize and implement promotional strategy
- Coordinate message delivery with campus IT professionals
Winter / Early Spring
- Survey administration opens
- Reminder messages sent to nonrespondents
- Customize reports by choosing comparison groups, major field groups, and other reporting options
- Survey administration closes (June 1)
Summer / Fall: Data & Reports
- Institutional Report delivery and data files available for download (August)
- Major Field Report available for download (October)
- Annual Results delivery (November)